Sunday, August 30, 2015

Three Habits for Better Blog Posts

Elder Jose A. Teixeira does not know I have a blog, nor did he know when he gave his talk, Seeking the Lord, that I would have had a good deal of trouble writing decent blog posts. But inspired as he was, he gave me three pieces of advice that I believe will help me write better blog posts.
Habit Number 1: Visit the Church’s Official Websites for Resources
Often, when I don't know what to blog about, I search around Facebook, looking for inspirational picture quotes. More recently, however, I've been reading and listening to General Conference talks and blogging thoughts inspired by those talks, and I believe that my blog posts have improved as a result.
Habit Number 2: Subscribe to the Church’s Official Social Networks
 When I do check Facebook, I'm about as likely to find political messages, interesting news stories, and mildly amusing jokes and videos as I am to find anything inspiring or uplifting. By subscribing to people and organizations that post good, inspiring, uplifting messages, I'll invite the Spirit into my life more frequently, even while I'm just enjoying and sharing trivial amusement.
Habit Number 3: Make Time to Set Aside Your Mobile Devices
 My "mobile device" is a cell phone that isn't "smart," but I'm sure that that's not what Elder Teixeira was talking about. Given that much of the time I spend online (when I'm not blogging or doing homework) is just spent on entertainment, I can definitely reduce the amount of time I spend online. If I did, I'd have more time to spend actually enriching myself by reading books, doing chores, and playing the piano. Doing this will help me be a more balanced person, which will help me write better blog posts.

In our age, we frequently hear General Authorities counsel us on how we can use technology better, which, in some cases, means using it less. I know that if we use technology in appropriate ways and amounts, it can be a real blessing in our lives and help us feel the Spirit more and grow closer to God, which is probably what God meant for us to do with technology all along.

No comments: