Friday, August 21, 2015

Walking Songs

Yesterday's walk home from the bus stop wasn't actually all that bad. Sure, the first half wasn't very much fun, but after about the first 15 to 20 minutes of walking, I decided to do something that made the rest of the walk rather enjoyable. I started singing. Though I was out of water and I probably should have saved my breath and energy for walking, I found that singing lifted my spirit, and that improved attitude helped me a lot more than I think the extra breath would have.

I believe that it's a good habit to sing when things aren't going well. Singing can improve your mood, and we've already learned that attitudes are important. Plus, the songs helped me keep my rhythm while walking, or perhaps it was the walking that helped me keep my rhythm while singing. However it worked, singing while I walked really helped the second half of the trip go quickly and easily, and that trick might work for you, too.

Singing uplifting songs invites the Spirit and can help us with a good deal of challenges. If you're feeling down right now, or if you're having a hard time for whatever reason, try singing or humming a song you like. It might help.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

I recently read something about people who sing something like 10 minutes a day live longer. Quite possibly because of the things you mentioned.

I like how you choose to turn around a situation to make it more pleasant and enjoyable even if it isn't prime. I like how you choose to find / make the good.