Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Commiserating

Talking with other people about their problems can put your problems into perspective. This morning, I got a flat tire on my bike, which meant that I needed to walk to a bus stop and wait until the bus came at nine o'clock, which was when my history class started. Obviously, I was going to be very late.

As I was waiting for the bus, another man with a bike showed up at the stop, and we started talking. It turned out that he had gotten four flat tires in one week, mostly on the streets that had liquor stores. We commiserated over the conditions of the roads, the difficulty (and illegality) of riding on the sidewalks to avoid the debris on the roads, and governmental troubles in general. Talking about our mutual problems didn't solve any of them, but somehow, it made me feel better.

I don't know whether it was the fact that his four flats put my one flat tire to shame, or whether I was simply comforted that at least one other person has the same problems and thoughts that I do (probably the latter), but hearing that man talk about his problems made me feel less upset about mine. If you ask me, having a stranger to complain to likely had the same effect on him.

As pointless as it seems, I think we really can lift other people's burdens by talking about their burdens or ours in a sympathetic way. Actually, maybe it's not that we're talking about our problems, but that we're expressing sympathy as we discuss our problems. As I said, merely talking about our problems didn't make any of the problems less troublesome, but for one short bus ride, at least we weren't alone.

And thankfully, we never have to be alone. Jesus Christ has felt all of our pains and afflictions. He knows what it's like to be stuck at a bus stop because you got a flat tire on your way to your history class. This morning, I shared my thoughts and feelings with a random stranger, when I could have shared them with Jesus instead.

Next time I have a problem, no matter how unique the problem seems, I'll try to remember that there's at least one person that I can talk to who literally knows exactly how I feel.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

We are so often told not to complain, but sharing our problems back and forth with others does seem to bring mutual comfort - as long as we don't play "Can You Top This".

Also, if no one ever complains or shares their problems, we are left thinking that we are the only one with problems. We may feel persecuted or like something is wrong with us. I think we need to know that we are HUMAN and life happens.

I am glad that you and your bus/bike riding companion were able to connect, commiserate with, and hopefully comfort and encourage each other.

I was surprised to hear on the radio recently that is it not currently illegal to bike on the sidewalk in Sacramento, but that Sacramento is considering making it so. I suppose we should check it out. David thinks it should be legal with a speed limit of a jogger - say 10mph (some good jogger!) I think if roller blades, skateboards, and razors can go on the sidewalk, we should be able to bicycle, but pedestrians have the right of way. And watch out for driveways and intersections!