Thursday, February 18, 2016

Better Safe Than Sorry

You may have noticed that I didn't blog last night. That was mostly because the weather was rather stormy last night, with a risk of lightning, and I didn't want to risk causing damage to my computer. I understand that the risk was slight, and I wanted to blog despite the small risk, but I decided not to take my chances.

"Better safe than sorry" is also a good reason to keep a commandment you may not fully understand. God gives us commandments or a reason, usually to help us reach our full potential and/or avoid spiritual destruction. A given commandment, like paying tithing or not drinking tea, may not make perfect sense to you, so you may be tempted not to keep it, but why take the risk?

If you've ever kept any of God's commandments, you may have noticed that there are blessings for doing so, and if you've ever broken one of God's commandments, you may have noticed the consequences of doing so. Though they may not always make sense to us, and we may even think that there are no blessings to be gained or consequences to be avoided by keeping the commandments. We may think that we could get away with breaking a commandment "just this once," but why take the risk? We've been warned about the consequences, and I believe that they are real, so even if I don't understand a commandment and don't know what'll happen if I do or don't keep it, I'm going to try to keep it anyway. Better safe than sorry.

No comments: