Thursday, February 18, 2016

A Brother to Walk With

When I published Walking Songs several months ago, I almost titled it "Music to Walk by." Now, I wish I had. Last night, I had another walking-home-from-a-bus-stop experience, and again, I had something that helped me make the trip easier, but this time, it wasn't music that helped me; it was my brother.

We had just gotten off of light rail trains, and we were both hoping to catch a bus to get us closer to home, but we missed the bus and had to walk home. Actually, my brother didn't have to walk home. He had his bike with him, and he could have biked home and gotten there much faster, but he decided to stay by me instead. We put my backpack on his bike, which lifted my burden considerably, and we headed for home together.

I'm thankful that my brother was there for me, to keep me company and help me carry my burdens, but I'm even more thankful for my Heavenly Brother, Jesus Christ, always being there for me and helping me. I'm grateful that none of us ever have to go through life alone. We always have Someone who's willing to walk beside us and help us along (assuming that we're headed in the same direction, that is. Jesus will help us turn around, if we want Him to, but He won't help us head in the wrong direction). Just as my brother was there for me last night, we can always try to be there for each other, and I know that our Heavenly Brother will always be there for us.

No comments: