Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Resuming Communication

They say that if you want to talk to God, you should pray, and that if you want God to talk to you, you should read the scriptures. I could be doing better at both of those things. I think I could benefit from talking with God more often than I do. I would probably get more insights and other blessings that way, and I would definitely improve my relationship with God, which would be its own blessing.

I'm glad I have this blog to help me reevaluate how I'm doing on the basics. Almost as often as I check, I find that I have room for improvement. I suspect that we all do. So, now might be a good time for all of us to think about our prayers and our scripture study, and consider how we might improve them.

Personally, I could certainly improve the frequency and regularity of my prayers and scripture study. Maybe I'll set some reminders on my phone, but since the times I need to pray (when I eat, when I go to bed, etc) don't happen at regular times, I'm not sure how much setting phone reminders would help.

I guess I'll just try to remember, and we'll see how that goes. I already have a little clock that beeps on the hour, so I could use that to remind me to pray frequently throughout the day. Praying before meals shouldn't be hard to remember, though praying when I wake up might be, and praying before bed has never been a question of remembering, but of being too tired to feel like praying.

Tonight, I will pray and read my scriptures. Tomorrow, I will try to remember to pray frequently, and I'll just try to keep it going from there. One thing I might do is set up a daily checklist, so I can track whether or not I'm managing to pray and read each day. That might help. I'll make that tomorrow. For now, I'm going say a prayer, read some scriptures, and go to bed.

No comments: