Tuesday, August 30, 2016

True Conviction

I've been thinking a lot about faith lately, thinking about how the shield of faith wards against temptations and deception, about how faith can bring blessings, including the blessing of forgiveness, and how faith requires more than just belief; it requires conviction.

In Bonnie L. Oscrason's talk, Do I Believe?, she shares the story of a mother whose two-year-old son had a nearly fatal case of pneumonia. While the child's life still hung in the balance, the mother thought of the temple and of the promise that families can be together forever, even if they are temporarily separated by death. She had grown up knowing and teaching that truth all her life, but at this moment, she discovered that she didn't just know it; she also believed it. With true faith, she thanked God for the knowledge that she could be with her son for eternity, and she put her present fears and pain to rest, knowing that her son's life was in good hands and that, even if he died, they would be together again.

I need faith like that. I want faith that goes beyond mere knowledge or belief to actually influence my attitude and behavior. I want to believe in the reality of God and heaven and hell to such an extent that I act as though every choice I make affects my eternal destiny. I want to constantly remember the truths I've been taught and have my conviction of those truths to be one of my defining characteristics. I don't want to just believe that these things are true. I want to have enough faith to act on those beliefs.

Faith is not meant to be a passive belief, but an active force that shapes the decisions we choose to make. If we act in faith, we will make choices that won't make sense to the secular world, but that will show God that we truly believe and trust Him. Our faith can even affect our attitudes and emotions, even about the death of a loved one, if it is strong enough. I want my faith to be that strong. I want my faith to be strong enough for me to know that I can be with my family forever and for me to have enough conviction to make the decisions I'll have to make to qualify to live with them forever. For our faith to be strong enough to carry us through the tests and trials of life, we have to have more than just a passive belief. We need to have a true conviction of the truths that we've been taught.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

We have to want that faith and we have to be willing to work for it. We need to pray and ask for it, then we need to read the scriptures, listen to the prophets, live the teacbings, and open our eyes to see the Lord in action. I think we may have more faith than we realize, but not as strong as it could be (speaking for myself) if I were more diligent in developing and increasing faith.