Thursday, February 23, 2017

Peace With or Without Answers

I was about to write a blog post about how I worry too much and how I shouldn't let my questions and concerns bother me, and that's still both perfectly true, But while I should make peace with my questions for as long as I still have them, a comment that was made on my last blog posted reminded me of something: I may not be able to answer or even articulate my questions, but that doesn't mean that God can't answer them.

Last night, I expressed my doubts that I would be able to understand God's answers to my questions, assuming I could even figure out how to ask them, but God knows what my questions and their answers are, even if I don't. In saying that I wouldn't be able to understand God's answers, I may or may not have been underestimating my ability to recognise and understand the whisperings of the Spirit, but I was certainly underestimating God's ability to speak and explain.

I know that God knows everything, and I know that He can do anything. Why, then, should it seem impossible to me for Him to (miraculously) convey a message to me in a way that even I could understand? Stranger things have happened. If He wanted to explain agency and sociology to me, or how I can know whom I can trust, or how I can determine what choices I should make, He could do that. He has the ability to tell me everything I ever wanted to know, and then some, in a way in which I could understand.

The fact that He hasn't already done so was momentarily troubling for me, but I realise that, again, God has His reasons. In this case, I would guess that there are many possible reasons why God hasn't explained certain things to me yet. Maybe I just haven't asked Him enough times yet. Maybe He wants me to figure things out on my own. Maybe I'm not supposed to know yet, in that knowing the answers now might spoil part of God's plan for me. Or maybe God hasn't told me the answers because it doesn't really matter.

I don't need to know everything right now. I don't even need to know everything I'm curious or concerned about right now. I know that God can answer my questions, but I may not need Him to. I can have inner peace and a fulfilling life, even if I don't understand everything about that life. I can let go of my concern and let my questions go unanswered for as long as God sees fit. I'll still ask about them, ponder them, and study about them, but I won't worry about them. Not any more.

No comments: