Monday, February 6, 2017

Privileged

Right now, I'm in a house, listening to the rain. I'm sitting on a couch. There's a light on above me. I am warm. As we speak, I am practising a talent that allows me to communicate, almost effortlessly, with everyone in the world.

I am privileged. I wish more people were.

The Earth is not a Zero-Sum planet. There don't have to be "have-nots." Everyone can be, and should be, at least as privileged as I am.

I am comfortable. I have a decent job doing something I enjoy and do well. I have the privilege of learning. And yes, I have to walk half a mile to the bus stop every morning and evening, but I do so in safety. I am not in fear for my life. Everyone should be so privileged.

People listen to me. Some people even like me. Off of the top of my head, I can't think of anyone who especially dislikes me. No one mistreats me or disrespects me because of my gender, religion, or ethnicity, even when they disagree with me. Everyone should be so lucky.

I live in the land of the free and of opportunity. I live where hard work and grit can bring prosperity. There should be more lands like that. The whole Earth should be a land like that.

I'm not a revolutionary. I don't want to grab a flag in one hand and a gun in the other and go out to change the world. I believe that the world can change gradually and peacefully, perhaps through writing. Maybe I'm naive. Maybe this is a pipe dream, but I dream of a day when everyone is at least as privileged as me.

No comments: