Friday, April 21, 2017

Guidance and Companionship

Yesterday, at Institute, the teacher asked us what we liked most about being members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I chose not to answer that question because I tend to comment too much in classes, so I try to hold back and allow others to make comments and answer questions. However, if I had answered, I think I would have said "the companionship of the Holy Spirit."

I enjoy that companionship (when I'm worthy of it) for many reasons. First of all, it's nice just to have someone to talk to. Companionship, espescially the companionship of such and kind and understanding individual, is a blessing in and of itself. But more than that, the Holy Ghost is worth keeping around because of the guidance He provides. In his talk, "His Daily Guiding Hand," Elder M. Joseph Brough spoke about the guidance God gives us. He listed several tools God uses to provide us with guidance, including the Holy Ghost, saying "My prayer is that each of you will recognize in your experiences that Heavenly Father is leading, guiding, and walking beside you and, with that knowledge, you will proceed with confidence, knowing you are never really alone."

 I am grateful that I never need to be alone. The Spirit of God is always willing to be with me; I just need to try to stay worthy to be with Him. And when I am worthy to be with Him, I can receive guidance and revelation that can help me with every aspect of my life, in addition to the comfort and peace that come simply from having Him around. As Latter-Day Saints, we can be blessed daily by the guiding hands of our Heavenly Father, most especially through inspiration from the Holy Ghost. As with Elder Brough, my hope is that we will all strive to be worthy of, and thus qualify for, the companionship of the Holy Ghost, so He can comfort us, guide us, and direct us down the right paths. In my opinion, constantly having the Spirit with us is one of the greatest blessings of being a baptised member of this church. Let us always strive to be worthy of it.

No comments: