Tuesday, April 25, 2017

"The Supreme Blessing of Being Judged"

Toward the end of his talk, Our Father's Glorious Plan, Elder Weatherford T. Clayton said, "After the Resurrection we will have the supreme blessing of being judged by our Savior, who said, 'I will draw all men unto me, that they may be judged according to their works.'"

When I heard that, I got hung up on the phrase "the supreme blessing of being judged." I thought, how could being judged be a "supreme blessing"? Even in context, knowing that we will be "judged according to [our] works" doesn't sound too promising. We all have at least a handful of "works" that we would rather not be judged by.

But maybe I'm focussing on the wrong words. Perhaps it's not a "supreme blessing" to be judged, and perhaps it's not a "supreme blessing" to be judged "according to [our] works," but it can still be a "supreme blessing" to be judged "by our Savior."

Our Savior, Jesus Christ, loves us. He loves us so much He was willing to die for us. More than that, He suffered through tremendous pain and agony, which punishment He did not deserve, so that He could spare us the punishments that we do deserve. He completed the Atonement so He could have the "supreme blessing" of judging us, not so much according to our works, but according to His mercy (and our repentance).

I'm sure that it will still be overwhelming, and I'm sure that many tears will be shed, but I think that it will be a "supreme blessing" to be "judged" by Him.

No comments: