Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Keeping Commitments

I'm tired, but I made a commitment to blog, so I guess I'll blog about the importance of keeping commitments. Normally, I'm pretty big on freedom. I think that people should be able to make their own decisions, and change their minds if they want to. There may be repercussions, but even if people have the freedom to break their word without repercussions, they probably shouldn't. It's not polite. It's not fair to those who were counting on them to keep their promises. And it's probably not healthy for the individual. The word "discipline" left a sour taste in my mouth when I was very young, but I've since learned the importance of self-control, and one way to develop discipline and self-control is to keep your promises, even when you don't want to. Plus, it's dishonest not to. When a person says they're going to do something, they're making a statement that's either honest or dishonest, depending on whether or not they actually do what they said they were going to. Honesty has its own benefits, independent of self-discipline, and dishonesty has its own consequences as well.

Some years ago, I made a commitment to blog daily, and, for the most part, I've kept that promise. I've missed a few days for forgetting. I've missed several days from camping. And I've missed at least one day by being too sick to blog. But almost every day, I've kept my promise to post a semi-spiritual blog post each day. Part of me wants to keep that going, just for the sake of keeping that going, but I also want to keep blogging for the sake of keeping my commitment. I made God a promise, so even when I'm tired, and even when I have nothing to say, I think it's worthwhile to keep my commitment.

No comments: