Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Most Important Part of the Lesson

If I teach nothing else tomorrow, I want to at least teach the kids that hymns can help crowd out unworthy thoughts. I feel that that is very important. The ability to use hymns to resist temptation is a skill that everyone should develop, most particularly the youth of the church. I'll probably end up sharing President Packer's analogy about one's mind being a stage that can only have one actor on it at a time, and I'll certainly have one of the children read the President Packer quote the lesson shares, if nothing else. This may not be the most interesting tidbit, and it certainly won't be the most fun part of the lesson (unless I think of some activity that could go along with that part of the lesson), but I think it's the most important hymns-related message I could share with the kids. They are going to encounter temptation at some times in their lives, as if they don't already encounter it, and when they do, it be great if they had learned a trick or two for how to resist it, and humming or singing a hymn is just such a trick. If even only one of those children hears, remembers, and benefits from that message, it will have been work taking the time to teach it.

No comments: