Sunday, July 30, 2017

Finalizing My Temple Dedication Lesson Plan

Most of my Primary lessons start with a recap, partly for the sake of retention, partly to get students who were absent last week mostly caught up, and partly just to give myself a place to start from. Fortunately, the construction of the Kirtland Temple leads perfectly into the dedication of the Kirtland Temple. Instead of starting the lesson by talking about the keys of the Priesthood (which I plan to get to later), I'll start by having the children read at least some of the accounts of the dedication. Between paragraphs, we'll probably discuss the rarity of intense, spiritual experiences and the sacredness of temples.

When we finish talking about the dedication and the spiritual experiences that accompanied it, we can move on to the restoration that took place a week later. That's when we can talk about the Priesthood keys and authority, to the extent that I can explain it. After providing as clear an explanation as I can, we'll spend the remaining lesson time talking about why missionary work and temple work are important, how they're related, and how they bless us and our families.

There are some complex and not-fully-understood concepts in this lesson, but I'll work with them as well as I can. Rather than trying to explain things I don't understand myself, I'll teach what I do know about them and then try to focus mostly on the parts that I understand better. Hopefully, those parts will make sense to my students as well, stay in their memories longer, and be of more benefit to them. Knowing about missionary work and temple work is probably more important than understanding the rules regarding the different types of heavenly beings, anyway. Besides, these are primary kids. It's probably best that we stick to topics that they (and I) can understand.

No comments: