Thursday, July 27, 2017

Too Personal to Share

This morning, I ironically overheard a conversation between two of my coworkers, one of which was saying that she doesn't post everything about herself on social media largely because her life isn't anybody else's business. In general, I agree with her assessment. Most of a person's life isn't the general public's business. One's personal information, for example, is just that: personal. The same can be said of one's personal experiences and personal feelings. If a person chooses to share such things, that's their decision, but it can sometimes be inappropriate or unwise to share too much.

For that reason, there are some things that I don't feel comfortable sharing on my blog. I've had some experiences that, while blogworthy, are too personal to blog about. I'd offer you an example of a personal experience I've had that's too personal to blog about, but an example I could think of would, by definition, be too personal to share on my blog. You're just going to have to take my word on this one.

But on the other hand, I'm sure that, even without an example, you know what sort of thing I'm talking about. Almost everyone has something about themselves that's not necessarily intended for the ears of the general public. Many of us have faults and challenges that we'd rather not discuss in public. Some of us have had experiences too sacred to mention in casual conversation. And while I feel that it's important to explore one's innermost thoughts and feelings, the internet may not be the best place in which to do that.

So, occasionally, I have thoughts and experiences that, despite occupying a good deal of my time and thoughts and teaching me valuable lessons, are not fit to share on my blog. At those times, I hope you can be patient with me and forgive me for not sharing any spiritual thoughts. Some thoughts are just too personal to share online.

No comments: