Sunday, April 14, 2019

Stepping (or Storming) Out for Some Air

I kinda lost my cool at a family gathering this evening. I'm not good with noise and stress, and came really close to losing control of myself. Arguably, I did lose control for a moment there. Fortunately, not much came of it. When I reached my limit, I abruptly excused myself (perhaps a bit too abruptly) and went outside, closing the door behind me (certainly a bit too hard). The quiet, cool air helped me a lot, and after a few minutes, I eventually calmed down enough to rejoin the party, grateful that I had taken a moment to recenter myself.

Life is stressful, and the stress of life can sometimes take a toll on one's emotions. If left unchecked, this stress can influence a person to the point where they do things they regret, like walking out so suddenly and practically slamming the door behind me. It's important that we apply some self-care, preferably before we reach the point were it becomes vital.

Tonight didn't go perfectly, but it didn't go terribly. Next time, I think I'm going to try to get some alone time sooner and be more tactful about how I get it. It's understandable to need some fresh air after a while, but I could have gotten it in a less-rude way. I want to apologize to my family for that. I'll try to be less-impolite next time.

No comments: