Wednesday, April 24, 2019

What Is In Your Heart

The title of Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf's April 2019 General Conference talk is "Missionary Work: Sharing What Is in Your Heart." I really like the emphasis on sharing what's in your heart, not just what's in the book or what's taught in Sunday School. For a testimony to have an impact, it has to be personal. In April 1973, President Harold B. Lee said, "You cannot light a fire in another soul unless it is burning in your own soul." That's why I think that the first and most important step of missionary work is to cultivate a personal testimony, which will both give you something to share and fill you with a desire to share it.

I don't often feel like sharing the Gospel. If I had to guess, I would say that may be because my testimony isn't very strong. If I had a strong enough belief in the Gospel, I would probably recognize how vital it is to each person's well-being and how important it is to share it. People need the gospel, and if I fully understood that, I think I would have an easier time sharing the Gospel with them. Gospel teaching is supposed to come from the heart. If I want to light fires of testimony in the hearts of others, I should make sure that it's burning brightly in my heart first.

No comments: