Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Creative Limitations

I have an interest in writing in writing fiction, especially fantasy because I like the idea of writing characters and worlds into existence. I like the idea of having an image in my head, describing it, and having that image appear in others' heads as well. I like the idea of having others explore those worlds and those characters and the questions they raise. I want to create things and watch others interact with them.

If I become a god, I may or may not be able to do that.

Naturally, gods can create worlds. However, gods may have to limit their creations to worlds that are physically possible. I don't know if God could create worlds with floating mountains and dragons and magic. God created our world within certain physical limitations. Other creations may have the same limits, making some worlds impossible to create.

Also, God can create people, but I don't know if He can create specific people, according to a mental image in His head.  I don't know if He can make people exactly the way He wants them to be, with all the abilities, weaknesses, backstory, and characteristics He wants them to have. Seems to me like He creates people and then lets them have whatever experiences they have and turn out however they turn out. God does not (maybe cannot) create specific people to fill specific roles in fabricated narratives.

And even if He could create whatever worlds and characters He could dream of, I'm not sure how well He can share His creations with others. Can gods visit each other and look at each others' creations? We never hear about God interacting with other gods. Maybe it can happen, and we just don't know about it, but my point is that we don't know.

We don't know if God has as much creative freedom with His creations as the average fantasy author has with his. I don't know if God can create worlds that defy the laws of physics. I don't know if God can create characters with personalities that perfectly fit the stories He wants to tell. And I don't know if God can share His creations with anyone other than His creations.

But I know I can. So, I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts. I'm going to create whatever convoluted worlds I can dream of and characters designed to tell the stories I want to tell, and I'm going to share them with whomever I want to share them with, because I know I might not be able to later. I know that Godhood grants greater power than I can imagine, and I look forward to exercising those powers when I can, but those powers may have limitations that the average mortal fantasy author doesn't have. So, while I strive to prove worthy of greater powers, I also plan on using the powers I have now while I still can, especially in ways that take advantage of my current relative lack of limitations.

I'll create whatever worlds I can when I can, but in the meantime, I'm going to write into existence whatever worlds I want to write into existence, whether or not they could ever actually exist.

No comments: