Saturday, December 5, 2015

Gifts for Christ - Kindness

On Facebook, I saw a picture quote that shared the same quote I shared half a year ago. The quote was from President Henry B. Eyring's  April 2015 talk, "Is Not This the Fast That I Have Chosen?": "When we offer to succor anyone, the Savior feels it as if we reached out to succor Him." On April 5, 2015, I shared that quote and the following message:
When Jesus Christ accomplished the Atonement, He took upon Himself all the pain and suffering any person would ever feel. Then, doesn't it make sense that He would also be able to feel all the relief anyone would ever feel, if only by experiencing the moment when the pain lessened or stopped? I'm not sure how I never thought of this before, but it's a wonderful thought. In the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus felt an extraordinary amount of pain. It's marvellous to think that we can help alleviate some of that pain by bringing comfort to anyone who suffers. In honor of Easter and all Christ has done for me, I'm going to keep my eyes open this week and hopefully find someone I can comfort or help in any way, especially now that I have a slightly better understanding of what He meant when He said "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my bretheren, ye have done it unto me." (Matt 25:40)
 I had written that with Easter in mind. Now, with Christmas in mind, and especially on the topic of giving gifts to Christ, this idea takes on a different meaning. Since it's very likely that Christ will feel anything we do for others, that makes serving others a way by which we can serve Christ. We can't serve Him personally, because He isn't here, but we can serve Him by serving others. We can be kind to Him by being kind to others. We can love Him by loving others.

I would love to give a gift of love and kindness to the Savior this year, and I know that I can do that by expressing love and kindness to others.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Powerful, sweet, and precious.