Monday, December 14, 2015

Messiah - And He Shall Reign Forever and Ever

One of the lines from the Hallelujah chorus proclaims that "He [God] shall reign forever and ever." This is an interesting statement, considering that for a person to rule, that person needs subjects to be ruled by them, and that we are God's subjects, as long as we are trying to be righteous. So, in order for God to reign over us forever and ever, we would need to keep striving for righteousness forever, which implies several interesting things.

First, there's the whole Eternal Progression thing, which I pretty much covered yesterday.

Second, there's the fact that even when we're Gods, God will still our God, which I also pretty much covered yesterday.

Third, continually striving for righteousness implies that we will always have room to improve, that we will always need God to guide us. This means that no matter how good, how holy, how perfect we eventually get, we will continue to look to God for additional council and correction.

Of course, I could be getting this all wrong. The prophecy only says that "He shall reign forever and ever." It say nothing about God reigning over us. Technically, as long as God has any subjects at all (and He can always just keep making more as long as He wants to), the prophecy will be satisfied. God will go one reigning forever, whether He's reigning over us or others. In the sort-term, however, it would be wise for us to subject ourselves to God and let His wisdom guide us through mortality, if not also through the eternities.

2 comments:

Rozy Lass said...

I believe that once we reach Godhood, we will be perfect, therefore not needing anymore improvement. I hate to think that in still needing correction, our God could make a mistake. No, he is perfected and complete. The ruling part means that he is still creating worlds because that process is endless, or so it says in the Pearl of Great Price. Sometimes these concepts get so mind boggling!

Andrew Robarts said...

You're probably right. "Perfect" does seem to imply that no further improvement is needed. Still, I wonder if a God still subject to His or Her God. Once I reach Godhood, will my Heavenly Father still be able to give me more commandments? Will God still reign over me once I am a God myself? You're right, these concepts are mind-boggling!