Friday, December 9, 2016

A Challenge to Get to Know the Lonely

This is only the second Friday of December, but so far, Fridays have been easy days for me. Today, the challenge is to visit the lonely, and I already planned to spend most of the day with the loneliest person I know. I don't think I'll invite that person to any special events, but I might ask them questions to try to get to know them better. We've known each other for quite some time, but I don't think either of us know all that much about the other, and t might be a good idea to change that. Reaching out to this person would be at least a somewhat charitable thing, and it would be something of a challenge, so I guess I'm getting a little bit of what I was asking for: A challenge to help me reach out of my comfort zone and be a better person than I normally am. Normally, I'd exchange pleasantries with this person, and perhaps discuss recent events, but the conversation would rarely go deeper than that. Today, I'll try to actually talk to this person, no matter how awkward or forced the conversation ends up seeming. I should try to get to know this person. I think Christ would take the time to try to get to know them.