Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Sort Of Technically Feeding the Hungry at the Last Minute

I didn't do well today.

Today, I had an opportunity to buy food for people, or at least to share the food I had with people, but I just didn't think of it. I forgot that the goal today was to feed the hungry, and I didn't recognise the opportunity until it had passed.

But they probably weren't all that hungry anyway. And, to make up for my missed opportunity and to make sure today counted, I donated a small amount of money to my ward's Fast Offering fund (Isn't the Internet awesome?), which will certainly go toward feeding, or clothing, or otherwise assisting people who could definitely use the help. That counts. I'm 6 for 7.

But still, throwing a few dollars at my church's poor fund, while admirable, isn't quite as satisfying as helping people directly, and I'm not sure it's as effective at making me more like Jesus Christ. Jesus helped people personally; He didn't hold a fund-raiser to raise money to help the poor through intermediaries. I'll count today because at least I did something, but I'll try to do better tomorrow.

2 comments:

motherof8 said...

I find great comfort and satisfaction in Fast Offering because I know my money is multiplied by the donated service of members who help provide and distribute the food. I think you should donate Fast Offering regularly if you don't already. Helping people in person is good, of course, but I think giving Fast Offering is also Christ-like giving. And highly cost effective.

motherof8 said...

You are usually a sensitive, service oriented, unselfish person who tries to follow the spirit. Is it possible that you didn't think of feeding the person/people you saw because you weren't supposed to?