Wednesday, July 20, 2022

To Mock a Political Figure

I tend to overthink things, but I often feel that my overthinking is valid. Case in point, I questioned the moral justifiability of mocking a particular political figure.

In general, mocking people is wrong, largely because it hurts people's feelings. However, in this case, I'm confident (to near certainty) that this political figure would not have known whether I had mocked them or not, and what they didn't know couldn't hurt them.

I also acknowledge that the rules of etiquette can change under different circumstances. One would expect different levels of respect for table manners at a fast food place than at a formal dinner party. Perhaps the same could be said for political etiquette as well. While one should generally always treat other human beings with basic respect and dignity, there are exceptions, including social gatherings where "roasting" is the expected, accepted practice. One could arguably classify all of social media as such a "gathering."

Still, I believe that it's wrong to practice immoral behavior, even in specific circumstances where such actions are justified, if only to avoid making a habit of it. It is better to practice compassion than ridicule, if only because it is better to be compassionate than ridiculous.

Yet, I want to stress my opinion that, even when mockery is immoral, it must always, always remain legal. Our ability to criticize public figures is an essential element of public discourse. There are times when it is necessary and good to illustrate other's faults, and perhaps even reflect on them humorously. Mockery must remain legal, even when immoral, in order to retain our ability to properly evaluate our public figures.

So, where does all of that leave me? I'm not sure. I believe that it should be legal for people to mock public figures, but I'm not sure whether I may justifiably join them in doing so. Yet, even if and when the mockery of others is morally acceptable, I'd like to think that I'd abstain from the practice and practice compassion and rational thinking instead. There are other, better (in my opinion), forms of entertainment, and when the faults of others must be discussed, I can discuss them rationally rather than ribbingly.

So, it may be fine for people to mock political figures, and it certainly must remain legal to, but I'd like to think that I'd choose not to.

No comments: