Sunday, July 31, 2022

"No Sinner So Depraved"

In Hymn 197, "O Savior, Thou Who Wearest a Crown," the second verse says that no one loses access to the grace of Christ:

        No creature is so lowly, No sinner so depraved,

        But feels thy presence holy, And thru thy love is saved.

        Tho craven friends betray thee, They feel thy love’s embrace;

        The very foes who slay thee, Have access to thy grace.

As I sang and listened to this verse, I was reminded of something Elder Holland had said in his talk on The Laborers in the Vineyard:

        I do not know who in this vast audience today may need to hear the message of forgiveness inherent in this parable, but however late you think you are, however many chances you think you have missed, however many mistakes you feel you have made or talents you think you don’t have, or however far from home and family and God you feel you have traveled, I testify that you have not traveled beyond the reach of divine love. It is not possible for you to sink lower than the infinite light of Christ’s Atonement shines.

No one is unforgivable or irredeemable. This is, naturally, a relief for me, because I have felt irredeemable at times, and sometimes think I'm irredeemable even now. But if there is truly "No sinner so depraved, but... thru [Christ's] love is saved," then that means I can still be saved, too. An Apostle of God has testified that "It is not possible for [me] to sink lower than the infinite light of Christ’s Atonement shines."

There is hope for my soul yet, and no matter what mistakes, missteps, and poor choices I make along the way, there always will be.

No comments: