Thursday, October 10, 2013

Doing the Works of Your Father

Last night, in my personal scripture study, I was reading in John 8, where Jesus was having a conversation with a group of Pharisees. Here's just a piece of the conversation:

I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father. 
They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham’s children, ye would do the works of Abraham. 
But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham. 
John 8 38-40

Jesus went on to say that they were children of the devil and they were doing his evil works. They didn't like that, and frankly, neither do I, but that's beside the point I'm trying to make today.

The point that I want to make is that, as we are righteous, we do the works of our Heavenly Father, and that's how we truly become the children of God.

Last night, before scriptures, I had the opportunity to help the Relief Society take down a bunch of tables and chairs. I could have done it slowly or grudgingly, or not have done it at all, but I went and I worked as quickly and effectively as I knew how. What was my motivation for working so well? Those people I was serving were from the Relief Society. They know my mother, Barbara Robarts. I wanted them to know that the sons of Barbara Robarts were taught how to serve. I wanted them to know that she raised good, helpful children who use their strength and vigor to serve others. I wanted to "Let [my] light so shine before [women], that they may see [my] good works, and glorify [my mother] which is in [Europe]." -Matthew 5: 16 [Altered]

I was doing the works of my mother. Come to think of it, I was doing the works of my Heavenly Father, too. Service, kindness, and diligence are all admirable, Godly traits. God wants us to develop those traits, why? So we can become like Him. I'm sure that taking down tables and chairs is among the list of things God would be willing to do for His children, but since He's not down here personally, He asks His able-bodied sons to do it for Him.

I want people, especially people on the Relief Society, to know that my mom is a good mother - that she instilled in me the desire to do good. I suppose I also want people to know that God is a good Father, in case they don't know that already, and He's in the process of teaching me how to be a good man. I want to be a good son, for my mother's sake. I want to be a good man for God's.

Thinking of God as my Father, it makes sense that He would teach me how to be a good man. That is one of the primary tasks of a father. Probably my favorite Western right now is The Rifleman, which is about a man named Lucas McCain who, along with having terrific skill with his rifle, is also a good father for his son, Mark. Just about every episode, Lucas teaches Mark something about what it means to be a good man. I find it a rather inspiring (and entertaining) show. It makes me want to listen more to my Father, and become the kind of man He wants me to be.

I want to do the works of my Heavenly Father, so that I may accurately be called His son.

No comments: