Sunday, October 20, 2013

Joy Shall Be In Heaven

This morning, I watched the latest LDS Bible video, where Jesus gives the parable of the lost sheep.





Interestingly, one of the comments on this video on Youtube calls into question what Jesus says at the very end of the video: "I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance." Luke 15: 7

The comment was this: "But don't we all need repentance? Go figure."

I find the comment interesting because I agree with it. I'm especially reminded of a verse in Isaiah the was popularized by Handel's Messiah, "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all." Isaiah 53: 6 (Italics Added)

We are all sinners who have need of repentance, aren't we? There's only one person in all of Earth's history that wasn't. And it's hard to imagine more joy in heaven over one repentant sinner than there must have been over Him. Could Jesus possibly have been implying that there'd be more joy when we returned to heaven in righteousness than when He did? I doubt it. As exciting as it is to see a sinner like any of us embrace the light and become righteous, I can't imagine it could compare with the excitement of the birth, life, atonement, and resurrection of Jesus.

Still, however much comparative joy there is "over one sinner that repenteth," Jesus made it clear that it's a good amount. It's inspiring, if a bit unbelievable, that there is joy in heaven over people like us when we successfully overcome faults and obey the commandments. It's encouraging to think that there are people watching over me, rooting for me, cheering when I succeed.

A number of months ago, I prayed for angels to help me with my specific problems. Little did I know that there were already angels in heaven that have an interest in my success. Thankfully, so do we all.

1 comment:

Miriam said...

Yes, I think that is part of the point--that we all have to repent.

As for Jesus vs. those who repent bringing joy in heaven--he didn't commit any sin, but he took upon himself our sins and paid for them, so even though he didn't make any wrong choices, I guess you could say that he did part of the repentance for us through the Atonement. Also, repentance means to turn away from sin and turn toward God. He did that his whole life.