Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Striving to Change

This morning, I watched Elder D. Todd Christofferson's talk, The Divine Gift of Repentance. I've shared messages from this talk before, and I especially remember sharing the first point that stood out to me this time in a blog post called An Invitation of Love. That point is, as Elder Christofferson puts it, "the invitation to repent is an expression of love." I could write more on that topic, but since I've already written about it and there's something else that I want to write about more at the moment, I'll just move on to the next point in Elder Christofferson's talk that I liked: "repentance means striving to change."

As a missionary, I taught that principle rather often. Some people I taught were confused about the meaning and implications of repentance. Is prayer enough, or do you need to confess? Is confession enough, or is some kind of penance required? What I taught was that repentance simply means to change. “By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins—behold, he will confess them and forsake them.” -D&C 58:43

While confessing our sins (to the Lord, and possibly to the Bishop for serious sins) is an important step in the process, the intended result is permanent change. We are to forsake (or stop committing) our sins and strive to do better. I use the word "strive" partly for the same reason Elder Christofferson did - Making right choices can be very difficult. Is his own words:

Real repentance, real change may require repeated attempts, but there is something refining and holy in such striving. Divine forgiveness and healing flow quite naturally to such a soul, for indeed “virtue loveth virtue; light cleaveth unto light; [and] mercy hath compassion on mercy and claimeth her own” (D&C 88:40).

With Elder Christofferson, I testify that as we strive to improve, the Lord strives with us. He will fill our hearts and minds with strength, healing, and hope as we try to follow His teachings and counsel. Together, we can change or natures and become the best people we can be. I look forward to realizing that promise in my own life, and I hope that it also happens in yours.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

It is a bit comforting to hear an apostle of the Lord say that "Real repentance, real change may require repeated attempts" because it is so easy to get discouraged and be tempted to give up when we slip up.

But like Piet Hein said, "The road to wisdom? Well, it's plain and simple to express: Err and err again but less and less and less."