Friday, October 11, 2013

Slow Start, Clean Hearts

I was going to get back to posting about General Conference today, writing about insights and highlights from specific talks, but... I don't know. I'm just not feeling it today. I don't really want to blog about General Conference right now. In fact, I hardly feel like blogging at all. I'm approaching the point where I decide to pick an analogy or inspiring quote out of a hat and blog about that briefly, just to get it over with.

I need more motivation and enthusiasm. I need to get "fired up," as some motivational speakers say. Maybe I should splash my face with water, or go for a jog, or do some strength exercises, or something.

The jog helped, and then I washed dishes and got myself a glass of hot chocolate. Now I'm feeling a good deal better. I still have a few chores to take care of here before going to Dad's house and performing a few tasks there. I'd better go get to those, but I have to blog first.

This morning is reminding me of the principle of spiritual inertia. I had a slow start this morning, but then I did some stuff, and now I think I'm doing okay. There's something sort of therapeutic about doing dishes. Turning soiled chaos into orderly cleanliness. It's a positive experience. Making things clean is one of the more rewarding forms of work, in my opinion.

I bet God feels the same way, except that He cleans souls instead of dishes. That's probably way more rewarding than having a tray of clean dishes. Still, I like cleaning dishes and rooms because then I can SEE the cleanliness (for however long it lasts). Though, I guess God still has that advantage because "the Lord looketh on the heart." -1 Samuel 16:7 He can probably see the changes that take place within our hearts. That's pretty cool.

No comments: