Saturday, October 19, 2013

I Took a Walk

Where did this morning go? Partly, I slept in a little bit. I also went for a short walk - It's a beautiful morning, and it's going to be a great day.

I read an article someone posted on Facebook about the habits of famed writers and thinkers. Some of those habits are highly eccentric, but others of them made a lot of sense, including getting up early (I failed at that one) and taking walks, especially in nature.

It may seem like a waste of time to be walking when you could be writing/working, but it's actually very refreshing and invigorating. It can help you to recharge and refocus. Often in life, we're in small, stuffy areas, working mechanically on mundane tasks. I don't think we were made to work that way. At the very least, we need fresh air. And it's healthy to enjoy the beauty of nature and to take time to relax and think about positive, uplifting things. Could it be that there's a connection between the business of the world and the general bleakness and depression in it?

On a broader scale, I think the world has largely forgotten about God. There's so much emphasis on living life that we sometimes neglect the reasons for which life mortal started. There is an eternal meaning to mortal life, and it has nothing to do with what many people say life is about. It's not about money or prestige. It's not about having fun. It's about becoming better people - Wiser, spiritually stronger, more like God. Many people, myself included, need to realign their priorities frequently to make sure we're on the right path. I'm sure I haven't been on the right path for a long time, and I'm still not sure I'm on the right path. Amid so many distractions and so much confusion, it can be hard to tell where we're really going. I think that's Satan's point.

I'm not entirely sure how much really matters. I know that being good matters. I know that it matters to try to follow the commandments. But beyond that... It gets confusing. Maybe I need to take another walk, or a bike ride. I have a few errands to run anyway. And I should mow the lawn. That's kind of like taking a walk in nature. Yeah, I should do that. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: