Monday, June 9, 2014

A Need to Study More Diligently

...You will need to study diligently. Do not become so absorbed with trivial things that you miss learning the doctrine and teachings of the Lord. With a solid, personal doctrinal foundation, you will be a powerful source for sharing vital truths with others who desperately need them. 
—Richard G. Scott, "I Have Given You an Example"
I love teaching the gospel, especially to those who, like you, already believe in it. I have been blessed with the ability to easily gain insights and share them. However, I have also been cursed with a particular challenge - that I sometimes "become so absorbed with trivial things that [I] miss learning the doctrine and teachings of the Lord." That's pretty much what happened this morning. My mind was elsewhere, so I had trouble focussing on my blog, and I ended up turning to LDS.org's Daily Messages for a quote I could blog about, just so I could blog about something. I'm guessing that there may have been some spiritual insight that I might have gained this morning, if only I had been better able to focus.

But there's not much purpose in saying "if only" or wondering what might have been. Instead, I can try to move forward. Yesterday, I felt the spirit more strongly than I had in a while, and I think that had a lot to do with the amount of time I spend pondering on the things I was learning. I feel like the time I spend studying the scriptures has waned again, so I'll try to do better at that again, and maybe I'll be better able to focus on blogging for the next few days. Also, I should go back to blogging about General Conference talks. Those are always spiritually insightful. The next one up is Be Strong and of Good Courage, by President Thomas S. Monson. I'll probably blog about it tomorrow.

No comments: