Saturday, June 28, 2014

Have a Nice Day!


As I've said before, Joel Osteen gives really good quotes. This one reminds me of the moment in The Hobbit in which Bilbo wishes Gandalf a "good morning," and Gandalf lists several possible meanings of the phrase, including that Bilbo might "mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not." The thing is, I'm not sure it could have been.

We each have to choose what kinds of attitudes we have and what attitude we have determines what kind of day it is. I think that if Gandalf didn't want to have a "good morning," he could have maintained a grumpy attitude and had a bad morning no matter how "good" the morning originally was. No matter what happens on any particular day, we have at least some choice in how we feel about it and what we do about it. Even if we're having a "bad day," we can make it a good one either by doing good or at least by keeping a positive perspective. Sometimes, that's much easier said than done, but I think that it's always possible, and if having a good day is always an option, I think we should continually take it.

I hope you have a good day today, and by that, I'm mean that I hope you make this day a good one.

No comments: