Friday, June 13, 2014

Preparing for Scout Camp

I mentioned yesterday that I'm going to go to Scout Camp this next week, and I'm wondering what that'll mean for this blog. Naturally, I won't be able to blog while I'm at camp, yet I've made a commitment to blog every day, and I want to keep that commitment as well as I can. One idea is to bring plenty of note-paper to camp with me and to, every day, write down the kinds of things I would write on my blog. Then I'll probably post them online when I get back. I think I'll even take some church materials with me - scriptures, of course, and perhaps an Ensign or two - just in case I don't find enough inspiration at camp, though I'm sure I will.

I've got this theory that God and nature are often close to each other. God may spend some of His time in nature, and nature follows closely the patterns given to it by God. Nature is beautiful - just the way God made it. I'm going to enjoy my time there, and it'll probably help me draw closer to God.

In the meantime, I need to pack. I'll need plenty of clothes and some Scouting Basic Essentials, but surprisingly, that may be mostly it. The camp is covering our meals, a supply of fresh water, access to First Aid, and even a few cots for the leaders. I still plan on bringing some trail mix and band aids, but I don't think we'll need anywhere near as much equipment as I usually bring on camp outs. Not having to worry about food and water has really lightened the list of things I need to worry about in preparation of this outing, so that's quite a blessing.

One issue that remains is transportation. To get up at the campsite by 6 or 6:30 (I forget which one we're aiming for), out Troop will be leaving at 3-3:30 AM! It won't be much fun getting up that early, and I'll have to secure a ride from someone else who's going so Mom doesn't have to get up that early, too, but it'll be worth it. I haven't been to Scout Camp in a long time (and never in a leadership position), so this'll be a good experience.

I'm looking forward to next week, even if it means I won't exactly be blogging during that time. It's going to help me grow, spiritually and as a leader, and I think it'll be loads of fun.

No comments: