Sunday, September 17, 2017

Other Kinds of Prayers

Yesterday, I said that the Holy Ghost doesn't often help us when we don't ask for help, but shortly after writing that, I realised that not praying for help is a lot harder than it sounds. In Hymn #145, Prayer Is the Soul's Sincere Desire, we learn that "Prayer is [among other things] the burden of a sigh, the falling of a tear, the upward glancing of an eye when none but God is near."

If this is true, then we pray far more often than we might think we do, especially when we need help. All of us have looked upward, or cried, or at least sighed when we felt that we were in over our heads, and I am certain that God hears those prayers and occasionally answers them. After all, God is our loving Heavenly Father, and He wants to help us,  even when the only way we ask for His help is non-verbally.

I am thankful that God hears our non-verbal prayers and that He is always mindful of us, even when we are not consciously mindful of Him. I'm grateful that He understands the feelings that we often lack the words to express. I am sure that there have been many times when I had heaved a sigh or shed a tear and God sent me the comfort that I didn't know I had been asking for. God truly is very close to us, and He loves us more than we can express. That is why I am so thankful that God hears and answers our non-verbal prayers.

No comments: