Saturday, September 23, 2017

Undeserved Love

I didn't think I was going to cry today. I didn't cry at the memorial service (no matter what Cousin Carol thought she saw), but at the graveside service, my brother David said something that made me think and, ultimately, made me cry. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what he said, so I can't quote him, so I'll just share the thoughts I had while he was talking and the thoughts that I'm having now, as I reflect on those thoughts.

We may feel that Dad doesn't deserve our love, and maybe he doesn't, but God has asked us, or rather commanded us, to love one another, whether they deserve our love or not. Along the same lines, we should strive to follow God's example of unconditional love. God loves all of His children, all of us, whether we deserve it or not, and He loves all of us more than we deserve.

So, maybe we shouldn't try to figure out whether or not people deserve our love or how much of our love they deserve, and instead try to love them anyway, even though they probably don't deserve it. Love doesn't always mean forgiveness, though we've been commanded to forgive everyone, too. And love doesn't always mean kindness, though we should always try to be kind. Love can take many forms, including "tough love" and, occasionally, pity.

What, exactly, Jesus meant when He said to "Love one another" may be up to interpretation, but in my opinion, no valid interpretation includes an addendum based on whether or not the recipient deserves it.

No comments: