Monday, November 26, 2018

A Day of Helping

Today was a good day, and as I spent the last few minutes reflecting on my day, I think I found out why it was good. At several points over the course of the day, I had and took opportunities to help people, and people took opportunities to help me.

I helped people at work in the morning, in the afternoon, and again in the evening. I am blessed that I essentially get to help people for a living. I also helped people at home, if you count doing my chores as "helping." I helped someone in my class by studying with her, and she helped me.

Come to think of it, several people helped me today. Bus drivers and train drivers helped me get where I needed to go. My supervisors helped me get tutoring appointments and get paid for them. My teachers and fellow students helped me learn. And my family helped me in more ways than I can count, not the least of which was by providing me with a loving place to come home to at the end of a good, long day.

I think that part of the purpose of existence is to learn to help each other. I'm glad I was raised in the habit of helping others, and I'm glad that there are people in my life who regularly help me. It feels good to help those who need it and to get help when I need it. Today was a good day for me because I and just about everyone I met with today helped each other make today a good day.

No comments: