Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Eventually Following God's Blogging Advice

As I was walking home from the bus stop this evening, I asked God what I should blog about tonight. One suggestion that came to mind was to blog about Conference, and I agreed that that was a good idea. It has been a while since I blogged about Conference, and I don't want to fall behind again. That said, I almost didn't follow through on that decision. After my chores and such, I spent too much time on Facebook, I let time slip away from me, and before I knew it, it was 11:30, giving me only half and hour to blog about a 15-minute talk. At that point, I thought that I didn't have time to do the talk justice and that I'd rather blog about it late than poorly, but those were just excuses. I realized that I was being lazy and that I could probably whip up a blog post in 10-15 minutes, if I had to.

As it turned out, I didn't have to. Within about a minute, Elder D. Todd Christofferson shared a biblical story and a prophetic question that applied to my current circumstance. As the people of King Ahab debated whether to worship The Lord or Baal, Elijah asked them, "How long halt ye between two opinions? [or in other words," Elder Christofferson added, "'When will you decide once and for all?'] if the Lord be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him."

I almost chose not to follow God tonight, and every moment I spent debating whether I should try to follow God's counsel or not, following God's advice seemed harder and harder. Yet, as soon as I made the right decision, God made a way for me. He gave me exactly the message I needed, early enough that I could use it, via a message a prophet gave either one month or several hundred years ago, depending on which prophet  we're talking about. Either way, this message, given long before this evening, was exactly what I needed to hear at this moment. I was torn, as usual, with a tough decision, and I only just barely made the right one. Next time, I might not be so lucky. Next time, I should blog much, much earlier and always follow whatever promptings or suggestions God gives me about my blog or anything else. I'm glad I eventually chose to follow God's blogging advice tonight. I hope I get an opportunity to do so again in the near future and that I take that opportunity sooner than I did tonight.

No comments: