Monday, November 19, 2018

Prompted to Do Good

This afternoon, I was out shopping with my Mom and sister. On our way home, we stopped to get some gas, and I almost let my Mom get out and pump the gas, but my sister asked if I was willing to do it, so I did. Then later, at home, there was a basket of clean towels on the table, and I figured I'd get around to folding them eventually, but before I did, Mom came and started folding them, so I joined her, apologizing for not having folded them myself earlier. In each of these cases, I did something good, but only when I was prompted to by another person.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Of course, it's good to do good, regardless of the circumstances, but it's better to do good of one's own volition, rather than waiting to be asked or prompted. Still, the Holy Spirit is almost always prompting us to do good. It may be better to do good before being prompted to, but there's certainly nothing wrong with following a prompting to do good.

Perhaps I'm merely trying to justify myself. I know that I should have done better. I should have volunteered to serve and help. Or maybe I'm being too hard on myself. I did ultimately lend a hand, and I do help and serve regularly. I know that, if I'm too negative about myself, some people will remind me that I am a good person, and I agree. I do good frequently, but I could do more good, especially if I cut down on the amount of time I spend on doing nothing. I believe that, no matter how good a person is, there is always room for improvement, but no matter how much room a person has for improvement, there is also some good in them.

It is good to follow promptings to do good, like the ones I got this afternoon, but it is better to do good without having to be prompted.

No comments: