Saturday, November 24, 2018

The Element of Fire

Now that the Paradise Camp Fire is finally put out, I won't feel weird blogging about Elder Garrit W. Gong's talk Our Campfire of Faith. In this talk, Elder Gong spoke of how campfires provide light and warmth. He spoke of campfires in positive tones and never in the whole talk mentioned fire's destructive nature and ability.

As an element, fire is unique in representing two diametrically unique ideas. Earth is always solid and stable. Air is always light and breezy. Water is changeable, and one could make the argument that the fluidity of water stands in contrast to the rigidity of another form of water: ice. However, one could also argue that ice is  practically its own element or that the rigidity of ice further proves water's fluidity. Water is so changeable that even its changeability is changeable. And water is never both fluid and rigid at the same time.

Fire always embodies its contrasting nature. Fire is always both creative and destructive. Fire is always both helpful and harmful. Fire always creates bright flames and dark ash. Fire symbolizes both the feeling of the Holy Ghost and the feeling of hell.

Fire's destructive qualities are well-known. Fire is famous for burning things and people, causing pain and destruction wherever it goes. I don't think I need to emphasize this point too strongly. Everyone knows that fire can be very, very bad.

But not everyone knows or realizes how good fire can be. Handled correctly, fire can be very useful. Fire provides warmth and light. Fire can cook food. Fire can provide energy for transportation. Almost all cars, most heaters, and some power plants all rely on fire. Fire does a tremendous amount of good.

If I had a classical element (as many personality quizzes have claimed that I do), my element would be fire. I have life, energy, and vibrancy. I am occasionally creative, and some would say that I bring light and warmth into their lives. However, I also possess some of the negative traits of fire. I sometimes get angry and feel destructive. I drive the Spirit away about as often as I attract Him. I have both good and evil inside of me, and I do both good and evil, just like a fire.

In time, I may learn to be careful with my flame so I don't burn myself or anyone else. I may learn to stop destroying things of value and instead only consume proper fuel and the dross in my soul. I may become more bright and pure, like the fire of a lamp or candle, and more useful, like a stove or heater, and less chaotic and destructive, like a house fire or wildfire. I hope to reduce the negative aspects of my nature and instead exemplify only the best parts of fire. Because fire can be good and bright and pure and wonderful. And so can I.

No comments: