Friday, March 22, 2019

From Novices to Gods

I am a novice DM. I'm not all that great at it. I'm currently terrible at managing pacing, and I second-guess myself too much. However, I'm learning. When a session goes moderately well, I try to learn why it went well so I can keep doing that. When a session goes somewhat poorly, I try to learn what went wrong so I can avoid that in the future. With careful analysis and practice, I expect to improve over time. In the meantime, I'm going to be patient with myself. After all, I'm only getting started.

Furthermore, from a certain perspective, I'm a novice person, too. I've only been alive for a few decades. Some people have been alive for several decades. But we are all eternal beings, and from an eternal perspective, we're only getting started. Naturally, we have a lot to learn, and we will literally spend ages learning it. Starting right now is a great idea, but we shouldn't get discouraged if we seem pathetic now or only make progress slowly. We're still growing and learning. As long as we keep learning from our experiences and keep progressing, there's no telling how far we can go or how much we can improve. We're novices now, but we have the potential to become gods. Progress can be painfully slow sometimes, but we won't stay novices forever so long as we keep evaluating ourselves and keep learning from our novice mistakes.

No comments: