Monday, March 4, 2019

Protesting Death

At my school, there are two demonstrations going on. One group is protesting the legalization of abortion, and the other group is protesting the lack of criminal charges being filed against the officers who killed Stephon Clark. Both groups are upset about the lack of legal consequences for those who end the lives of those who didn't/don't deserve to die. I didn't join either group, for various reasons, but I sympathize with them. I, too, feel that it is important to value and protect human lives, especially the lives of the innocent. I am strongly against abortion as a cultural practice, and I am disheartened by violence between the police and communities of color. Too many people are being killed for no good reason at all. I'd hate to sound like a hippie, but I'd really love it if the killing would stop. I want unnecessary abortions to stop happening. I want racial violence to stop happening. I want people to respect the sanctity of human life, including the lives of those who make life difficult for them. Society can endure a bit of difficulty. It cannot long endure this much killing.

No comments: