Tuesday, March 26, 2019

The Eighth Tennis Ball

It was still there.

As my train approached the station, I watched for that eighth tennis ball, and sure enough, it was still there. So, in the first few minutes of the half-hour I had before I had to get to work, I walked to the wall, set up some bleachers to use as a stepping stool, retrieved the stick with the hook-like thick end, and hooked down the ball. Here's the thing though: It only took one try.

The ease with which I retrieved the ball was shocking in contrast with the difficulty I had had in trying to get it down the day before. However, I think there were three main factors that made this last retrieval attempt so easy: Preparation, Practice, and Patience.

Yesterday, I spent a lot of time gathering the materials I used in today's attempt. I spent time walking across campus and back to fetch the sticks. I spent time trying the sticks out to find out which one worked best. And it took time for me to realize that the set of portable bleachers at the side of the tennis court was, in fact, portable and actually pretty easy to set up. Having already spent that time getting my tools together, I had an easy time setting them up as soon as I got onto the tennis court.

As part of that preparation, I had also gotten in a solid ten to fifteen minutes of practice using the hook-stick. I knew what angle to approach the ball from, and I knew how to hold and pull the stick just right to get a good grip on the tennis ball without risking breaking the stick.

And this attempt was also different from the other attempts because I wasn't pressed for time. I didn't have to rush myself. I wasn't shaky. I was able to take it slow, keep it under control, and do it right.

These three Ps can also help with other tasks in life. Spending enough time preparing for and/or practicing a task and exercising enough patience during the attempt can make the difference between success and failure. When you have the right tools and know how to use them, in theory and in practice, and when you take the time you need to do the job right, anything can happen, even easily retrieving the previously irretrievable eighth tennis ball.

No comments: