Saturday, September 21, 2019

Cleaning

I'm kinda glad that I was called to be the Building Cleaning Coordinator. I mean, I'm not too keen on calling people, and I'm not fond of asking for help, especially from people I don't know very well, but there is one aspect of the job that I enjoy: cleaning.

There's something satisfying about cleaning. I think it's partly the aggressive satisfaction of hunting down and eliminating bits of dirt and fluff, but it's also partly the orderly satisfaction of seeing a room or surface in its clean and proper state. Plus,there's plenty of symbolism in cleaning, whether it's the spiritual cleaning that comes through repentance or the gradual, personal cleaning that comes through self-improvement.

Now, I don't like cleaning enough that I would choose to do it for fun, but I do like cleaning enough that I can have some fun doing it. I'm glad that cleaning is part of this calling and that I'm usually not to busy coordinating the other volunteers to help them do it. I get a certain amount of satisfaction out of cleaning, and while I'd still rather not do any more cleaning than I have to, I'm glad I get some fun and satisfaction out of it when I do have to clean.

No comments: