Saturday, September 14, 2019

Love's Redeeming Work is Done

I've been thinking a bit about Lehi having said "I have obtained a land of promise" (1 Nephi 5:5) long before he ever saw it, along with a certain line from the hymn "Christ the Lord is Ris'n Today": "Love's redeeming work is done."

Whether this is chronologically true or not, it's a good attitude to have, and it may be helpful, spiritually. For example, I haven't fully repented of all my sins yet. I still have a long way to go before I am fully redeemed. But how would I act if I had been redeemed? Would I, as a redeemed, transformed, and purified individual, remain trapped in the same cycle of sin and despair that I've been stuck in far too long? I doubt it. I think that, having been redeemed, I would do everything in my power to maintain my redemption. Having been purified, I would have the Spirit with me more, and He would help me make good choices throughout the day. Being transformed, I wouldn't be in a big hurry to transform back.

Acting as through the redeeming work has already been done may be, on some level, dishonest, but I see it more as a self-fulfilling prophecy, and it's a fairly promising prophecy at that. The Savior wants to forgive us and redeem us, and one of the few things holding Him back is our lack of repentance. Repentance means change, so if we change our behavior for the better, then we are very likely to be redeemed. And one way to convince ourselves to change is by convincing ourselves that we already have.

I may not be fully like a Paladin yet, but if I keep telling myself I am one, I might start acting like one, and if I start acting like a Paladin, I will start becoming one. Similarly, I have not yet been fully redeemed, but if I act like I have been, I will be. Love's redeeming work may not be done with me yet, but I have a good reason to act as though it has.

No comments: