Thursday, September 12, 2019

Good Story

When I play D&D, what I care about most is making sure we create a good story. Fortunately, this doesn't pin us down too much, because there are many different types of stories. I generally assume it's going to be a heroic fantasy, and I try to build characters that match, but sometimes the story is a comedy or a tragedy, and there's almost always some room for drama. Kharagon almost dying to a swarm of magical carrots and transforming into a were-rabbit as a result isn't very epic or heroic. It's actually rather embarrassing, which can lead to good drama, if I play it right. But more than that, it's funny, and it could be incredibly funny to watch the ironic tragedy to watch a character try to be a hero, only for everything to go wrong for him in the funniest ways the DM and I can think of. I'm going to have some fun at Kharagon's expense in this campaign. And who knows? Maybe he'll heroically overcome his misfortune and become an epic hero, despite his laughable setbacks. The story could unfold in any number of ways, and many of those ways, though different, would each make for a good story.

No comments: