Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Incitement vs Agency

I just opened the Book of Mormon to a random chapter, and I got Helaman 8, in which "Corrupt judges seek to incite the people against Nephi." I kind of don't want to write about incitement right now, partly because I'm not sure how big of a deal it really is.

Yes, on a macro level, stirring up a lot of people to do something dangerous or stupid is, in itself, morally wrong. But on a micro level, I believe that people have agency and can make their own decisions. If you tell me to smash a window, and I smash a window, that window got smashed because I chose to smash it, not because you made me do it. People are responsible for their own actions, and they should be held accountable for their own actions, regardless of what anyone else says or does.

Now, should people be held at least partly responsible for the behavior they encourage? Perhaps. I'd have to think about that moral question before coming to any conclusions on it. But in the meantime, I believe that people should be held responsible for their own decisions, not for other people's. If the people acted against Nephi, I think that's more on "the people," than it is on the corrupt judges who incited them.

No comments: