Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Struggling

The word "struggling" has a negative connotation. If someone is struggling with something, it means that they're having a hard time. It could mean that they're weak or otherwise incapable. But I don't see it that way. I see struggling as a good thing. A person who is struggling is a person who hasn't given up the struggle. It's a person who is attempting to accomplish something difficult, and who is facing difficulty, but who isn't giving up. Struggling is noble. Struggling is inspiring. The greatest heroes of both fiction and reality have struggled. They faced great challenges, were most often challenged by them, but they rose to face those challenges. Even those who were unsuccessful were inspiring because of how hard they struggled.

There are a few things I'm struggling with, but I am struggling with them. And for better and worse, I expect that I'll keep struggling for a long time. I won't overcome my challenges any time soon, but I'm not going to give up, either. I'm going to keep struggling as long as I live, or at least as long as it takes, and that, I think, is a good thing.

No comments: