Monday, February 25, 2013

Can't Rush Inspiration

I'm running out of time and I haven't found anything new and inspiring that I'd like to share. It's not because of anything I've done or haven't done this time, at least, I don't think it is. It's more because of the fact that I'm rushed.

On Mondays and Wednesdays, my ASL class starts at 9:45. Normally, I can leave home at 9 and get there in time for class. However, there is also an ASL Tutoring/Study Group that meets before at 8:30, meaning that I have to leave no later than 8:00. Meaning that I don't have time to wait to find something meaningful. I did a quick search on LDS.org, but I didn't find anything particularly noteworthy within the first half-hour, so I came over and started typing here, hoping that something would come to me. It has.

You can't rush inspiration.

You can try, of course. God lets us try to do whatever we want. That's using our agency. But that doesn't mean that whatever we try is going to work out. That's God using His wisdom.

Elder F. Enzio Busche once said, "Divine light develops in places of peace and quiet."

You know, it's interesting. I rushed around, actively looking for inspiring messages for over half an hour, but couldn't find anything, then, to fetch that quote, I turned on this video, and after less than five minutes of just sitting still, listening to the nice music and good advice, and just taking it easy for a second or two, I felt the spirit.

So what's the difference? A half-hour of rush, and I get nothing; five minutes of listening, and I feel the Spirit. During that first half-hour I was actively seeking inspiration. There's a scripture: "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19.

I was seeking diligently, wasn't I?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what diligence means.

"Diligence," according to Preach My Gospel, "is steady, consistent, earnest, and energetic effort in doing the Lord's work." Not necessarily speedy, but steady. Not quick, but consistent.

We've all heard that the Holy Spirit tends to be subtle. If we're distracted or not really paying attention, we'll probably miss what He tries to say to us. I was actively seeking for something inspiring, but I was so busy looking for a good talk to share that I wasn't listening to the Spirit. It was only when I slowed down that I was able to receive inspiration.

We're all busy. We rush around constantly. We have to in order to keep up with everyone else. But if you have a few seconds to spare, if you can take a few seconds to close your eyes, breathe deeply, and tell Heavenly Father "Good morning," I'm sure you'll feel something.

No comments: