Saturday, February 23, 2013

Why I Was Stuck

It was during our evening scripture reading that I learned why I couldn't blog anything good yesterday morning. The answer is in Mosiah chapter 7, verse 29: For behold, the Lord hath said: I will not succor my people in the day of their transgression; but I will hedge up their ways that they prosper not; and their doings shall be as a stumbling block before them.

I've written a few times that light and darkness can't occupy the same space at the same time, and that certain thoughts, words and actions drive away the Spirit. Without going into details, that's what happened last morning. It's through the Spirit that we get revelation and inspiration. It's through the Spirit that I find the right message to share and the right words to type when I blog. If anything I say, do, think or fail to do causes me to lose the Spirit, I can't blog well. I'll still Blog anyway, because I've made a commitment to Blog, but my Blog post will be crap (Unless, even though I'm left to myself without any help from God, I manage to write something half-decent anyway).

My point is, don't lose the Spirit. If something you want to say would offend the Spirit, don't say it. I don't care how witty or how true it may be, if it's unkind or vulgar or offensive to the Spirit in any way, just don't say it. If something you want to do would offend the Spirit, don't do it. It doesn't matter if it's the popular thing to do, or if people think it's the right thing to do, or even if you don't know why God doesn't want you to do it. Just don't do it. And if something you find yourself thinking is offensive to the Spirit, don't think about that. It isn't harmless just because it's 'just a thought.' God doesn't warn us to avoid things because they're harmless. If a thought drives the Spirit away, don't linger on that that thought. Think about something else. Think of the Savior, if you can. Think about temples. Think of your family. Try to focus on any good thing you can think of. The Spirit will be with you. Whenever you try hard to resist temptation, the Spirit will be with you.

I forgot that last morning. I forgot why it's so important to uphold high standards. God reminded me. And now I'm glad he did.

I'm like the currant bush. I want to "grow" in ways that God knows are wrong for me. And when He sees that my thoughts and actions are taking me in the wrong direction, He takes out the pruning sheers. I need that correction. It hurts, (it probably literally hurts "like hell") but I need it. And if I ever learn to grow like a currant bush, it'll have been worth all the pruning.

God knows what He wants all of us to be, and it's only by upholding high standards that we can reach that potential. We have to watch ourselves; our words, our thoughts and our deeds. Only then will we be able to become like Him.

2 comments:

motherof8 said...

Good insight. Sound advice. Thanks.

Miriam said...

It takes courage and integrity to be honest about making mistakes. This is a good reminder to make good choices--even with our thoughts.