Friday, February 15, 2013

No Prompt Today. =(

I don't have a prompt for today's blog post. I watched several Mormon Messages videos and skimmed through a few General Conference talks, but nothing really stood out to me in a way that encouraged me to share it. Maybe something will come to me as I type.

I've been thinking about the Armor of God (the spiritual armor, not the blog). How one puts it on, how it helps, how one maintains it. It does require maintenance. With physical armor, you put it on once and unless you take it off, or unless it falls off somehow, you'll be wearing it for the rest of your life. Spiritual armor isn't so permanent. Putting it on is a process, and you've got to continue the process even when you think you're done, or you'll lose the protection.

Armor might be a bad analogy for this. Fire is better, since you have to constantly supply it with firewood. The fire analogy has been used for testimony many times. But fires don't protect you from anything, except maybe wild animals that might be afraid of it. Hey...

I don't know about the 'wild animals' part, but there's something vaguely familiar about the thought of the enemies of the light having a sort of fear or at least aversion to light (light here being used to mean righteousness). Isn't there a saying: "Satan trembles when he see the weakest saint upon his knees"?

Right now, I want to write about light and darkness. I want to write about how we can generate light to repel darkness. I want to write that those who have grown to be comfortable in darkness will be uncomfortable in light, and those comfortable with light are uncomfortable in darkness. That the world is filling with darkness, but that heaven remains full of light. If we want to be comfortable when we go there, we'll need to fill ourselves with light first. There are varying degrees of light and darkness and no person on earth is totally light or totally dark. There is both light and darkness in all of us, thus there is hope for even those that are in darkness and room for improvement for those that are in the light.

I also want to talk about the Spirit as being attracted by light and repelled by darkness. Similarly, but on the other end of the spectrum, the devil is attracted by darkness and can be repelled by light. Thus, by "cast[ing] off the works of darkness and put[ting] on the armor of light," we can attract the Spirit, repel the devil, and thus protect ourselves from temptation. Also, I want to point out that having that kind of light take constant effort, that we need to continually grow that light, or it will diminish.

I want to encourage us to generate more light. I want to write something inspiring, informative, uplifting, and good. But it will take time. I'll need to find good resources: Conference Talks to quote from, scriptures to cite, things like that. I know there are hundreds of messages on this topic (if it can be considered just one topic). I just need to find them. I could do what I can with my own reasoning and speculation, but it would feel so much better to be able to back the message up with quotes. I want to be sure that I get my facts straight, to be sure that what I tell you is true. I could really use a review in this message myself. It'll really beneficial to me to read what the General Authorities say about light and darkness.

I'm going to have to do some research and get back to you. I'm sorry that this blog post has no real message. Maybe you can pick up a little, inspiring snippet from those paragraphs I wrote about what I want to write later. When I actually manage to write about light and darkness, that blog post will be much better. And I got the idea from writing this post, so at least it hasn't been a total waste.

Anyhow, I have research to do. And homework. I have a short essay due on... Tuesday? That may take priority. =/ Anyhow, I've got to move on. I'll post something good tomorrow morning. Maybe about light and darkness, maybe not. I want to make sure I do that topic justice when I do it. But I will do it, and hopefully soon. It's a really interesting topic. I look forward to researching it.

1 comment:

motherof8 said...

Even physical armor requires maintenance. Other than that, I pretty much agree with you. Except Satan must have some special sunglasses he whips out when he sees someone making too much spiritual progress for his taste. Most of us have experienced his renewed attacks when we near a spiritual landmark - baptism, temple attendance, marriage, and smaller progress points as well. Satan is a powerful adversary, but the Spirit of the Lord is more powerful. Satan can try very hard and give us a difficult time, but if we keep to the light, he cannot persevere.