Saturday, November 20, 2021

The Hero Who Didn't Fight

Near the end of Marvel's Eternals, one of the main characters willingly withdraws from the central conflict of the film, because while he has strong beliefs about the conflict, he admits to being unwilling to kill others for his beliefs. This can be viewed as a form of cowardice, but I think that this is a valid stance to take. 

My personal philosophy is "Live and Let Live," so unless lives are being threatened in a way that is clearly morally egregious, I don't think I'd be willing to risk anyone's lives to step in. As I said back when I blogged about Quasimodo's Cries, I can't judge those who are forced to make a decision in any Trolley Problem-esque moral quandary. So, if some people want to flip the switch, and other people want to stop them, I can't confidently say that I'd pick a side and join the fight, either. 

Frankly, I can relate to the character who chose to abstain from the conflict, and if I were in their shoes, I think I might have made the same choice. I can hope I'd have the courage to kill someone to save others' lives, but unless lives are already on the line, I don't think I'd fight anyone over a difference of beliefs.

No comments: